Seeds of an Idea
The first iteration of The Barra’Prentice took to the waters of Corroboree Billabong in the Top End of the Northern Territory to compete in the SWB Barra Challenge.
Proving the Model
The Barra’Prentice program is proven with a double-header in the SWB Barra Challenge, taking out the Champion Team and Champion Angler gongs.
Encouragement flows in from all quarters to find a way to take the Barra’Prentice training program to more than one woman at a time.
Birth of a League
The leap is made! The Women’s Recreational Fishing League is born. Fundraising begins to build the foundations that will shape the WRFL for the future.
Australian women are nothing if not passionate! It took no time at all for WRFL State Leagues to start shaping up. Every state in Australia has its own fledgling League by the end of 2022.
The inaugural XFactor woMENTORnament is also held in this year. The BassX 2022 tested our mentoring tournament format and proved successful, paving the way for our signature fishing tournaments to be rolled out across the country, once a Foundation Partner is secured.
The Partner Hunt
Highly valued sponsorships and support are in place from many and various wonderful businesses from the corporate and fishing sector. But the hunt is on for the all-important FOUNDATION PARTNER, who will empower the Women’s Recreational Fishing League to leverage its momentum, develop further programs and take those enjoyed by NSW/VIC women to all other State Leagues.
Our Foundation Partner will enable us to flourish. Get in touch if you think you know who they are.
A recreational fishing community that boasts genuine equality.
As a collective, we will forge a future where female-focussed fishing groups are irrelevant, and the gender-neutral nature of recreational fishing is expressed and experienced in all facets of Australian culture.
- To provide a safe and inspirational women’s recreational fishing organisation.
- To empower women to be self-reliant.
- To increase the overall participation of women in our sport.
- To provide recreational fishing skills training, support, camaraderie, and mentorship for Australian women.
- To increase the profile and recognition of women in recreational fishing.
- To improve the social licence of recreational fishing in Australia through excellence and stewardship.
- To develop future leaders in recreational fishing.
- To foster an ethos of sustainability and habitat restoration that ensures a strong recreational fishing future.
- To develop thought leaders who inspire future generations of Australian fishers.
The Women’s Recreational Fishing League is dedicated to supporting and inspiring women as they develop their skills as an angler. Our success is wholly dependant on our members — as a collective — valuing the League as a safe community in which to learn and be vulnerable, for the purpose of open learning.
To assure our objectives and reassure our members, we all take a pledge upon joining. This is our promise to each other and to the sport we love:
As a member, I promise to live and uphold the ethos of the Women’s Recreational Fishing League.
- I will be respectful of all my fellow members.
- I will interact in a positive manner, protecting the supportive learning culture of the League.
- I will share knowledge happily and accept that everyone learns at their own pace and in their own way.
- I will celebrate the achievements of my League, my fellow members and (of course) myself.
- I will ensure that I share recreational fishing in an inspirational way to all people, both online and in person.
- I will always make sustainable fishing choices, follow all rules and regulations, and always encourage others to follow my example.
- I will act as a guardian of the waterways and always work to improve fish stocks and habitats.
- I will elevate my fellow anglers and my sport.
At The Helm
Every organisation is only as strong as the crew behind the wheel. The WRFL boasts a committee of dedicated and passionate women with diverse backgrounds and skill sets. Take a moment to meet the team…
PO Box 3042
TUROSS HEAD NSW 2537